He who guides by the hook of wisdom will be a seed in the world of heaven. - Thirukkural
Rava upma is a simplest yet tastiest breakfast for me. It saves me most of the time from the morning hurry-burry…Like rava kichdi it can also be served with coconut chutney, sambhar or even pickle.
- Semolina / Rava – 2 cups
- Water – 4 cups
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp
- Bengal gram – 1 tsp
- Green chilies – 2 (adjust to your taste)
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Oil – 2tsp
- Ghee – 2tsp
- Salt to taste
- First dry roast the semolina or Rava for 5 minutes in a medium heat.
- Then in another pan heat oil, ghee and add mustard seeds let them crackle.
- Next add Bengal gram, curry leaves and chopped green chilies saute it well.
- Add 4 cups of water and salt as per your taste.
- Once water starts boiling, add roasted semolina and cook for 5 minutes,( until rava cooks completely).
Note: If roasted rava is used, this rava upma could be ready in less than 5 minutes. Vegetables can also be added to the upma .