Medicine consists of a patient, physician, prescription and nursemaid-each commanding four parts. Thirukural
|Green beans lentil curry|
Green beans are rich source of dietary fiber, vitamin A, Vitamin B6, thiamin , vitamin C, and it also has healthy amount of iron, calcium, magnesium, manganese and potassium which are very essential for body metabolism. Apart from these beans also contain phenolic antioxidant such as lutein. Fresh green beans are good source of Folate, which is essential for pregnant women.
This Green beans dry curry is very simple side dish for rice and also adding dhal to this curry will supply us the essential protein for the day.
Preparation time : 20 minutes
Cooking time : 1 hour
- Green beans chopped - 1 cup
- Toor dhal ( yellow pigeon peas) - 1/2 cup
- Onion chopped - 1/4 cup
- Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
- Salt - to taste
- Red chilies – 2 ( adjust to your taste)
- Mustard - 1tsp
- Urad dhal - 1tsp
- Curry leaves - 1 sprig
How to make
- First boil the toor dhal in a pressure cooker for 3 whistles, do not overcook..
- Heat oil in a pan, add all the ingredients for tempering one by one. (Let the mustard crackle first and then add other ingredients).
- Next add chopped onion and fry till it is translucent.
- Then add chopped green beans and turmeric powder, salt and sauté it.
- Also add enough water (Dhal water can also be used for this) and cook until the beans become soft, next add the boiled toor dhal without water and mix it well. Wait for few minutes and switch off the stove.
- Serve it with rice and karakuzhambu.
Notes we can also add grated coconut just before switching of the stove.