An erudite doctor offers healing remedy after heeding, the patient’s nature, the disease’s nature and the time of year. – Thirukural
Green peas contain a healthy phytonutrients a polyphenol called coumestrol which lowers the risk of stomach cancer. Another phytonutrients saponin in green peas has anti oxidants and anti inflammatory benefits. Pea plants are environmentally friendly, they are nitrogen fixing crops.
Peas pulav is a easy to make one pot meal, I usually do this with malai koftha or simply onion raitha.
- Basmati rice - 3 cups
- Green peas - 1 cup
- Onion chopped - 1 cup
- Ginger - 1 inch
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Green chilies - 5 (adjust to your taste)
- Water – 4 ½ cups
Fennel seeds - 1 tsp
Cloves - 6
Cinnamon - 2 inches
Cardamom - 3
Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
Curry leaves - 1 sprig
Oil - 1/2 cup
How to make
- Soak Basmathi rice in water for half an hour.
- Then drain the rice and fry rice in a low flame till water evaporates from the rice.
- Boil water in a separate vessel.
- Heat oil in a pan add tempering ingredients one by one.
- Grind ginger, garlic and green chilies in a mixer grinder. Add this paste to the oil and fry till raw smell goes away.
- Next add chopped onion and fry till it is translucent.
- Then add green peas and fry for few minutes.
- Add rice and salt, mix it well. Next add boiling water, in the ratio of 1:1 and ½. For 3 cups rice, I usually add 4 ½ cups water.
- Cook for one whistle, and then simmer it for five minutes. Switch off the stove.
- Serve hot with spicy gravy or onion raitha.