The deeper you dig, greater the spring;
The more you learn, greater the knowledge- Thirukural
Thattai is crispy deep fried snacks. Kids will definitely love this... Generally we use Bengal gram, roasted gram and peanuts to makes this protein rich snacks.
My mom used to make murukku and thattai during Diwali season and distribute it to our friends and relatives. I used to help my mom in shaping these thattai and also tasting it.
- Rice flour - 2 cups
- Roasted gram or pottukadalai - 1/2 cup
- Sesame seeds - 1 tsp
- Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp (adjust to your taste)
- Bengal gram - 2 tsp
- Raw peanuts - 1tsp (optional)
- Butter - 2 tsp
- Water - as needed
- Asfoetida- a pinch
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak Bengal gram in water for 2 hours.
- Grind roasted gram in a mixer grinder, grind it to a fine powder.
- Mix the roasted gram powder to the rice flour, add sesame, butter, chilly powder, Bengal gram, raw peanut, curry leaves, salt and pinch of asfoetida. Add little water and make dough.
- Take a clean cloth and spread it on the table. Pinch a small portion out of the dough; make a thin thattai on the cloth. Cloth will absorb extra moisture and it will help to fry crisp thattai.
- Heat oil in a pan and fry the thattai until it turns golden brown.