Let self-control be guarded as a treasure; there is no greater source of good for man than that. - Thirukkural
Paneer or cottage cheese contains vitamin D , vitamin D very essential for good dental health. Paneer is a very good source of calcium, it prevents osteoporosis in women. They are very good source of protein and vitamin B complex. The presence of linoleic acid and spingolipids in paneer helps in preventing cancer. Paneer is also known to enhance blood formation, liver strenghthening and facilitate absorption of nutrients.
Malai Kofta is deep fried paneer ball with mashed potato and other vegetables.
Ingredients for malai kofta:
- Paneer – 1 cup
- Boiled potato – ½ cup
- Jeera powder – 1tsp
- Green chilies chopped – 1 tsp
- Maida/ APF – 2tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Onion chopped – 1/2 cup
- Tomato chopped – 1 /2 cup
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 tsp
- Green chilies – 1 to 2 (adjust to your taste)
- Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
- Red chilli powder – 1/2tsp
- Coriander powder – 1tsp
- Garam masala – 1 tsp
- Cream – 1 cup
- Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Oil – 2 tsp
- In a mixing bowl mix crumbled paneer, boiled and mashed potato, cumin powder, green chilies and salt.Knead it like a dough.
- Heat oil in a pan and make small balls out of the dough. Dip it in the maida paste (dissolve 2 tsp of maida in little water and make a paste) and fry it in oil. Fry it until golden brown.
- In another pan add 2 tsp oil add the ingredients mentioned in tempering one by one. Then add onion, fry till it is translucent. Add ginger garlic paste, fry for 5 minutes till the raw smell goes away.
- Then add green chilies, spinach and tomato, fry them for another 5 minutes. Add turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala powder and then cook in medium heat until the oil separates out from the gravy and Simmer it for some more minutes.
- Next add cream and finally add kofta to the gravy and serve it hot.