Virtue will confer heaven and wealth; what greater source of happiness can man possess? - Thirukkural
Black pepper rich in antioxidants. Black pepper digestive benefits are caused by stimulating taste buds which increases the amount of hydrochloric acid. Because of its ability to eliminate the bacteria in the stomach, black pepper is also thought of as an antibacterial agent. Black pepper controls blood pressure and heat rate with its high level of potassium. Pepper is also high in iron which is essential in the production of healthy blood cells. Peppercorns contain vitamin A and vitamin C . Pepper in the diet promotes eradication of extra fluids by sweating and urination.
Milagu pongal or kara pongal is prepared by cooking rice with lentil and then tempering it with black pepper and jeera (cumin).
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Moong dhal – ¼ cup
- Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
- Water – 5 cups
- Salt to taste
- Ghee / oil – 4 tsp
- Black pepper – 1 tsp
- Cumin – 1 tsp
- Ginger chopped – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Hing – a pinch
- Cashew nut – hand ful ( optional)
- First dry roast moong dhal in low heat. Roast moong dhal until it changes color from yellow to light orange.
- Then soak rice with moong dhal in water for half an hour and then wash it twice.
- Add 5 cups of water and cook in pressure cooker up to 5 whistles. Once pressure settles open the cooker and mash cooked rice using the ladle.
- Then heat ghee in a pan add ingredients mentioned in tempering one by one. Fry them for few seconds and then add it to the cooked and mashed rice.
- Serve hot with your favorite chutney or sambar.