The learned teacher makes you enjoy learning; On leaving, makes you to keep thinking of his teaching. - Thirukkural
Beetroot is very low in calories and contains zero cholesterol and small amount of fat. Beets prevent coronary heart disease, stroke and peripheral vascular disease. Beets are excellent source of folates, folates are necessary for DNA synthesis within the cells. Beets are excellent source of B-complex, vitamin such as niacin, pantothenic acid, pyridoxine and minerals such as iron, manganese, copper and magnesium.
Beetroot masala is thick spicy gravy made with coconut and pepper. It can be served with roti or rice.
· Beet root – 1 cup (cleaned and cubed)
· Onion chopped – 1 cup
· Tomato chopped – 1 cup
· Ginger garlic paste – 1 tsp
· Green chilies – 3 to 4 (adjust to your taste)
· Turmeric powder – ½ tsp
· Coconut pieces – ½ cup
· Red chili powder – 1tsp
· Coriander powder – 1tsp
· Pepper – 1 tsp
· Coriander leaves and mint leaves – ½ cup (optional)
· Fennel seeds – 1 tsp
· Cloves – 4
· Cardamom – 2
· Cinnamon – 2 (1 inch)
· Bay leaves – 1
· Oil – 3 tsp
1. In a pan add 2 tsp oil add onion, fry till it is translucent. Add ginger garlic paste, fry for 5 minutes till the raw smell goes away.
2. Then add green chilies and tomato, fry them for another 5 minutes. Switch off the stove.
3. Let them cool and grind it in a mixer grinder.
4. Then add 2tsp oil in a pan and add the ingredients mentioned in tempering one by one.
5. Then add grounded onion tomato paste and stir well. Add cubed beet root, turmeric powder, chili powder, coriander powder and then cook in medium heat, add little water and cook it until the oil separates out from the gravy. Simmer it for some more minutes.
6. In another pan add a tsp of oil and roast the pepper. Next add pepper and coconut pieces in a mixer grinder and grind it smoothly.
7. Finally add the coconut and pepper paste to the gravy. And let it cook in medium heat for 10 more minutes.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and mint leaves.Notes: After adding coconut paste, gravy should not be boiled more. Switch off the stove, when the gravy starts bubbling.