The friendship of the wise waxes like a new moon; but that of fools wanes like the full moon. - Thirukkural
Murukku is a deep fried snack prepared using rice flour and other ingredients. My mom usually makes murukku and thatai during deepavali. She is a expert in Murukku making, I got this recipe from her. And to my surprise, for the first time itself I prepared a perfect Murukku, thank you mom…
- Rice flour – 5 cups
- Urad dhal – 1 cup
- Fried gram – 1 cup
- Boiled rice – 1cup
- Butter – 5 tsp
- Hing – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Sesame seeds – 2 tsp
- Chili powder – 1tsp (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Water – As needed
- First dry roast urad dhal and boiled rice separately for 10 minutes. Then grind it in a mixer grinder with fried gram. Grind it to a smooth powder.
- Take rice flour in a separate bowl; add grounded dhal mixture, butter and then cumin seeds, sesame seeds, chili powder, hing and salt to taste. Mix it thoroughly.
- Next add water little by little and make dough. Keep it covered. (Prepare the dough in batches that is first take 2 cups of flour and mix it with water and then after finishing it proceed the same with the remaining dough.)
- Heat oil in a pan and using a murukku maker press dough into the hot oil directly or press it on a plastic sheet and then fry it in the hot oil.
- Wait for the bubbles to settle down and when color turned to golden brown, remove it from the hot oil and drain it on the tissue paper.